By volunteering at the Wildlife SOS Rescue Facilities, you will make a major contribution to the welfare of bears and elephants in India. The majority of the programme fees will go directly to the Centre thus providing a critical source of funding for future work. On a personal level, you will have the unique opportunity to work alongside some incredible animals and gain the satisfaction that comes from helping to make a positive impact on their lives (and yours!). Working with the local community and the inspiring people who run Wildlife SOS is an opportunity of a lifetime!
No previous experience is required but you will need to be willing and enthusiastic. A strong interest in conservation and wildlife is recommended. You will need to be physically fit, able to tolerate high temperatures and humidity, work well within a team and be adaptable to living and working in a group.
What are Volunteer duties?
As a volunteer you will spend five days working with the bears and elephants at Agra. Duties include building hammocks for Sloth Bears to rest in, constructing enrichment structures for play and assisting keepers on daily afternoon feedings. In addition you will also enjoy the opportunity to visit our elephants and help with their feeding or with giving them a bath.
Your first day at the Centre will consist of an orientation session and a full campus tour. The orientation will cover both logistical information regarding how the Centre is run and educational material detailing the fundamentals of animal welfare and environmental basics. You will be trained and supervised by the experienced animal keepers at the Centre as well as the volunteer coordinator. For your safety and the safety of the bears, please note that direct physical contact is not a part of the programme experience.
Each day is a little bit different at Wildlife SOS and Volunteer activities may include the following:
- Food Prep for Bears/Elephants Including: Assisting Keepers in Cutting Fruits / Loading / Making Enrichment Treats.
- Distribution of Food to the Bears/Elephants
- Maintenance of the Enclosures and Facilities.
- Bear & Elephant observations.
- Scrubbing and Bathing the Elephants.
- Enrichment Structure Construction.
- Gardening / Plantation /Nursery Maintenance & Development.
- Knitting of Coil Rope for Hiding Enrichments.
- Organization of Facility Resources.
- Facility-wide Mechanical Assistance
- Painting Maintenance Work & Plumbing Maintenance Work.
- Removal of Weeds.
Duties as a volunteer wishing to do office work could include:
- Organization of the Gift Shop/Visitor Centre
- Maintenance of the Area Around the Education Walkway Center
- Maintenance of the Guest Register and Correspondence.
- Assisting Guests During Their Visits
- Assisting Fundraising Activities
What are the Working Hours?
Monday to Friday
09.00 Hrs to 17.00 Hrs
Lunch break : 1300 Hrs
Saturdays and Sundays are free days for you to relax and explore.
If you have any further queries or are interested in volunteering with us, please download the application form, fill it out and email it to email@example.com
We will get back to you ASAP!